Monday, August 17, 2009

Learning to Sew





I was taught to sew on this machine by Nana and loved to stay for holidays and stitch away with Nana helping me. Nana gave this to me as a memento of my early sewing experiments and so that I could use it to teach my daughters to sew. It was not long before she was killed in the accident and in the drawers are still all the bits and pieces as she left them. This Singer treadle machine was made in Scotland at the Kilbowie factory Clydebank between January and June 1920. There were 50,000 of this model made. I know this as there is a serial number on the machine and it is possible to find out the year here and where the machine was made. Nana would have used this machine before she was married as it originally belonged to her Mother, my Great Grandmother. It still works and I can't wait to use it again, that is once I have the time. It has a lot of attachments I want to try. The design on it is Egyptian, a big trend at the time and the drawers are carved. Lots of memories for me with this machine! I made my first mini skirt on this treadle machine. It was white with box pleats to wear with white boots and a stripe skinny rib. Actually I still have that skirt, in my stash of projects to reuse one day! I was pretty proud of that skirt so how could I throw it away! Does anyone still sew on a treadle machine like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment