Friday, August 14, 2009

Not Another Blog




Nana, Poppy, My Father and Aunties on the Farm in the late Forties from a scrapbook page I did. the Buttons are from her old button tin (I still use this today) The image in the background comes from a view of the farm looking down the gully from the farm house.



Bit of a buzz today for me I had three cousins for lunch and we had not been together for 23 years! They are three of four sisters and were on their way back home and called to see me as the half way stop on a long drive. One of them walked into my office last year not knowing I was there and it has meant that for the first time in so many years I feel like I have an extended family again. Our Nana was taken suddenly in an accident, a terrible hit and run, and it left us without that important connector. Nana was the one to keep the cousins in contact and once she was gone our lives became far too busy and we lost most contact. Today was just wonderful lots of laughing lots of memories over lunch and a glass of wine. Out came some treasures I have kept, the flapper dress made by Nana for her 21st over 83 years ago, the old recipe book and file with her hand written notes and cuttings that she started to enter when she was a young girl and was still using at the time of her death and some photos. We moved around my home to look at some of her furniture I have been using all of these years (and my daughters already stake a claim on!) and there were lots of "I remember that" or OMG you still have that I wished I had not sold mine now!

At the end of a wonderful time we agreed to keep in touch and keep her memory alive. We are going to share our treasures, clips of information, stories and photos and I am hoping that I will be able to put all of this together in a book a copy for each to share with their children.


The best way for me to get on top of this task is to start another blog! This time I am going to keep it up! I love the idea of blogging and every day I have a quick read of my favourites and each day I say to myself OMG they are blogging about stuff I did in the 60s and 70s! This is my third attempt to keep up with blogging (okay so my other blogs are not dead just hibernating while I sort myself out and get my life back) I hope someone finds it interesting makes some comments and it will keep me blogging along. I am going to have to work at it my life still has too many demands. "Get on with it" as Nana would say so here goes!






No comments:

Post a Comment